d7II v3.6 Pre-Release

d7II v3.6 Pre-Release

Postby Nick » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:24 am

EDIT: Download Removed / Topic Locked - v3.6 has been officially released.

Not ready for release yet, this pre-release version of v3.6 has a few fixes and a few new features! (this is a minor update and code is being added parallel to the existing v4 in development)

* Added ability to download all custom apps used by d7II on the Check for Updates screen, replacing Ketarin 'DefaultApps_db' functionality and the need to keep that updated separately from our default custom apps configs.
* For above, implemented new download code to only download files when a local copy doesn't match the file on the remote server.
* Also for above (and in prep for other new stuff) the custom app downloads should no longer delete the original downloaded file (if it was an archive to extract) in order for file comparisons. Instead the file to be downloaded (if it already exists) will be copied to a temp location until the download either succeeds or fails, and will restore upon failure or be deleted finally upon success.
* App/Function icons! (not currently configurable behavior including branding.)

teaser.png
teaser.png (34.8 KiB) Viewed 2787 times

This release is largely untested so related bug reports are ok here.

Keep in mind this is the first d7II dev in a little bit, now that things are starting to settle in for us. I haven't read over the issues in the forums or bugtracker in a while but I'm just now getting back into the swing; though I wanted to emphasize that I'm not blindly throwing out updates that ignore the issues that people may be having here. This release was focused on the download issue occurring when d7II improperly tried to download files with no internet access - during the download phase the file would be deleted before the new file was downloaded (and with no internet, you are just shooting your foot off.) The icon thing was just a real quick bit I added based on something I learned the other day in passing, and figured it would be an easy application and hopefully make things a bit easier on the eyes for techs to find certain apps. If I had spent any real time on it, there would be a configuration for it (e.g. disable the d7II icon for internal functionality, or additional branding, etc.) but that is why there isn't, and I wouldn't expect any related config until release.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: The codejock .dll file attached should be placed in the same dir as d7II.exe -- the older v15.x.x codejock .dll in your current d7II.exe dir was updated in this release to a v16.x, so to avoid conflict or issue, you should first END SESSION when replacing your existing d7II.exe if it has been started previously and is in session. During End Session d7II will unregister the old codejock v15.x.x .dll file, so that a fresh start of the new d7II.exe version will register the new v16.x in its place.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Re: d7II v3.6 Pre-Release

Postby laplandz » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:01 am

Awesome to hear from you Nick, was starting to think you'd been hit by a bus or something. Is this about to become "happy-times" for d7ii? :)
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby Nick » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:36 am

Hopefully for ALL of us :)

The d7II update to v4 I've been working on (off and on) for a while now, but it won't do much more than v3 at the moment (at least not VISIBLY in the UI) and it isn't even ready either -- I kinda got involved in a huge update for d7II when I had very little time for it, with a lot of personal stuff going on, and it's also been really inconvenient to release minor updates for v3.x at the same time... but I had to let you all know I AM working on d7II and this was actually convenient update to do to the v3.x code while I work on v4 simultaneously. I'd like to get v4 out before the end of the month because I'd already planned next month for working on a major dSS update to get that the way I want it before it is merged with CP and taken over by the other "Fools" on staff.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby bitznpcz » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:47 am

Hi Nick,

It's good to see you here and thanks for the update. I'll have a play and post any feedback.
bitznpcz

Postby bitznpcz » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:52 am

I'm getting a 'Data Not Available' error when trying to 'Update all 3rd party apps used by d7II internal functions' and 'Update all Custom App downloads'. All the tabs are blank in Audit 1, Audit 2, Malware 1 etc...
bitznpcz

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:49 am

you have the Codejock.Controls.Unicode.v16.4.0.ocx file in same dir as d7II.exe? sounds like it isn't recognizing it... if so plz do a screen shot for me with the blank stuff and the error also.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby bitznpcz » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:39 am

Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying. Errors attached

d7II_1.jpg
d7II_1.jpg (480.95 KiB) Viewed 2748 times

d7II_2.jpg
d7II_2.jpg (261.16 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
bitznpcz

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:28 am

Thanks!

It could be an issue with the old .DLL being registered at d7II session start and if so the new one won't register until the old one is removed (by d7II End Session)

In other words, if you End Session in d7II now and delete the codejock 15.x.x .dll file, then start a new session does problem persist?

TBH I didn't *have* to upgrade the codejock control in this release, nothing depends on the newer version over the old, but I just tried to sneak it in b/c we upgraded it on the dev machine after purchasing the upgrade the other day. I didn't run a lot of tests with it yet but I figured it should've been at least as functional as the last version we used...

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:35 am

I'm seeing Data Not Available myself now, seems to only occur with KillEmAll updating, might be an issue with the file on my server -- checking...

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:53 am

yeah that was an issue with the KEA download on my server, which has been fixed.

let me know if you get word on the blank listboxes in the various tabs. also about the session thing and/or if this was a fresh load. also do the boxes populate in config > custom apps? if so see what happens when you add an app to a tab if it (and only it) appears or if the boxes are still completely blank.

another thing to check is using the d7II Main menu > Debugging > View/Modify Session Data open your d7II Config dir (I always say do it from there due to the portability of the folders and session stuff so you know you're looking in the right spot) and open the SortOrder folder, then any one of the cfg files for the custom boxes can be opened with notepad.exe -- see if for example your malware1.cfg (the left box on the malware tab) has any entries in it. would look like:
Code: Select all
33|1|32|6|9|10|my custom app name|18|12|13|16|17|8|7|

where numbers represent d7II internal function identifiers, and custom apps will just have the name in there. If these files are blank then your config just isn't there for some reason, but if they have numbers/names in them then I definitely have an issue populating the listboxes with the config files...

Nick
Site Admin

Next

Return to d7II Support Forum